Monday, December 13, 2010

PRAISINGS

‘Human beings like to be praised’ – It is a statement generally accepted by all. In every meeting – political or otherwise – praising someone by a number of people is an everyday affair we see in our country, India.
Sometimes the praising goes beyond limit and it embarrass the one who is being praised.
The people praise a person who is supposed to be a political leader or president of a company or anyone who has done something good and extraordinary in one’s lifetime.
I had the good fortune of attending many meetings in which such praising beyond limit was heard and not listened.
Moreover, it is said to be boring.
When I retired from service, my colleagues collected money and arranged for a gift, garland, shawl and a tea party.
The meeting preceded the parted for praising me.
Close friends praised me in such a way that everyone in the audience try to analyze whether the praising carried truth or it is only flatter!
No one mentioned the bad qualities of me; instead they highlighted only the good qualities and stressed repeatedly.
When I stood up to reply and thank all these praises, I acknowledged with a big thanks and said that I did not deserve the praises uttered by my colleagues who did not mind my comment.
This is my personal story.
Praising persons in front of a large crowd gives great pleasure to the praising and praised persons.
They get elated internally and sometimes externally.
One of my friends indicated that praising people has a motive behind it.
In order to gain power, position or wealth one employs the psychological technique of praising.
Praising others at times brings benefits, so people practice this technique to capture the goodwill of others.
I have heard people saying non-facts in praising leaders.
Those who understand the motive behind such praises do not pay much attention.
They take it for granted and think praising is a formality.
 Limited praising mentioning the outstanding contributions of a person would be always welcomed by anyone.
Unlimited glorified praising really does not carry meaning and in fact anything unlimited is undesirable.
Therefore be careful in attending meetings where praising gets importance and better try to avoid such meetings so that you do not waste time and mental peace.

12 December 2010  

No comments:

Post a Comment